Negotiation Skills Training Program
Negotiation Skills training program consists of interactive exercises and several rounds of negotiation simulations – followed by expert feedback and review. The small group negotiations are observed by the trainer. Delegates are encouraged to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of their preparation and planning processes, and then receive detailed feedback on their own behavior profile.
- Develop strategies and tactics to manage the movement of the negotiation to the desired outcome
- Understand where power comes from and develop strategies that will bring the best outcome
- Learn strategies for maintaining a positive climate and dealing with negative tactics
- Create an action plan for continued development of the skills.
Preparing for the Negotiation
- Setting objectives.
- Evaluating fallback positions.
- The hierarchy of tradable issues and trade-offs.
- Best, target and worst trading limits.
- Calculating the cost of concessions.
- Anticipating ‘their’ position and tactics.
Planning the Negotiation
- Evaluating strengths, weaknesses and power.
- Creative, leveraged trades.
- Using a structure based on the four stages of the negotiation to plan for each stage.
- Common ground, long-term v. short-term.
Responding to Challenges
- Ways to Stay Calm
- Work with the Other Party, Not Against Them
- Don’t Bring Your Baggage to the Table
- Avoid Power Struggles
- Stay Focused
- Focus on a Positive Process
Creating a Win-Win Situation
- Keeping an Open Mind
- Making the Most of Brainstorming
- Thinking Outside the Box
- Use Your Resources (Experts, Mediators, Third Parties)
- Identify Common Ground